Damaging foes in the Cleft of Dimensions is the primary way to defeat them, and it is the only way in which player characters can be defeated.
There are 23 types of damage in the Cleft of Dimensions, and some are far more common than others:
- Physical -- bash, slash, and pierce
- These damage types are probably the most common among both weapons and mobiles -- each one has its own armor score which modifies received damage from attacks (but not spells)
- Primary -- earth, wind, wood, fire, cold, light
- Secondary -- iron, elec, poison, energy, water, dark
- Misc -- mental, acid, sound, silver, drain, charm, holy, evil
Auto-attacks and weapons of ALL non-physical damage types use the 'exotic' armor score.
Generally, you can tell what type of damage something is by what color the numbers are:
|Bright Red: Fire||Dark Red: Draining|
|Bright Green: Wind||Dark Green: Wood|
|Bright Blue: Water||Dark Blue: Mana Drain|
|Bright Cyan: Cold||Dark Cyan: Iron|
|Bright Yellow: Electric||Dark Yellow: Earth|
|Bright Magenta: Energy||Dark Magenta: Poison|
|Bright White: Light||Dark Gray: Dark|
|Medium Gray: Physical, Mental, Acid, Sound, Silver, Charm, Holy, Evil, or untyped|
Resistances and Vulnerabilities
While there are 23 damage types, there are 26 types of resistance, vulnerability, or immunity; in addition to one for each damage type, one can also resist:
- summon, which allows mobs to resist or be immune to attempts to Summon them
- weapon, which provides a blanket resistance or vulnerability to all three of bash, slash, and pierce, but does NOT stack with nor override any specific resistance or vuln -- resisting Weapon while being vulnerable to Pierce will still result in effect vulnerability to Piercing attacks
- magic, which behaves similarly for most other damage types
- A few attacks, like Seance, and some status affects, like Slow, don't have a speciic damage type, and can only be resisted by having resistance to the overarching Magic type
A very few attacks, like Megamagic, or Magic Rocket, deal completely untyped damage ("Other"), and so cannot be resisted nor hit a vulnerability. The only way to avoid taking damage from attacks like this is to be immune to both Weapon and Magic.
Additional Info for Coders
The Draining damage type used to be known as Disease.
The Evil damage type is known as DAM_NEGATIVE internally.
The Water damage type is known as DAM_DROWNING internally.
There are three variations on untyped damage in the code:
- Damage typed as DAM_NONE can only be avoided if the target is flagged as immune to both magic and weapon.
- Damage typed as DAM_OTHER and DAM_HARM are functionally equivalent even though these are technically different types.
- Both are affected by imm/res/vuln to Magic, and nothing else.